Directions：In this section there are ten sentences，each with one word or phrase underlined. Choose the one from the four choices marked A，B，C and D that best keeps the meaning of the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
16. Hague was elected as the Conservative Party leader partly because of his ambiguous views on Britain’s position in relation to its partners in the European Union.
A. ambitious B. obscure C. appalling D. indifferent
17. Her story shows how gentle stubbornness and an indifference to honors and fame can lead to great achievements.
A. persuasion B. determination C. devotion D. reservation
18. We have a respon3sibility to ensure our nation’s continued prosperity and the most sensible way to do this is by investment in basic scientific research.
A. effective B. efficient C. significant D. reasonable
19. All information reported to or likewise obtained by the commission is considered confidential.
A. in a similar way B. in another way
C. in a direct way D. in an unauthorized way
20. I would recommend this inn highly on account of its wonderful location.
A. as a result of B. because of
C. with regard to D. with a view to
21. Television advertisements do more than merely reflect dominant ideologies.
A. exactly B. faithfully C. repeatedly D. simply
22. The legislative provision has a great impact on the operations of the department.
A. law B. passage C. revision D. clause
23. In spite of a problem with the faulty equipment，some very useful work was accomplished.
A. imperfect B. temporary C. emergency D. reinstalled
24. Talks on climate change resumed in the German city of Bonn on July 16 to combat global warming.
A. focus on B. settle down C. fight against D. sum up
25. Bob believes that the invasion of the marketplace into the university is undermining fundamental academic values，and that we must act now to halt this decline.
A. lace B. plug C. cease D. digest
Directions：In this section，there are ten incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A，B，C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
26. The local people could hardly think of any good way to______poverty they had endured.
A. shake off B. ward off C. put off D. take off
27. The three branches of government―the legislative，the executive，and the______―restrain and stabilize one another through their separated functions.
A. lawful B. just C. judicial D. legal
28. From observers’ estimates of the brightness of the fireball，he______that the body in the space was between 40 feet and 260 feet in diameter.
A. deduced B. reduced C. induced D. produced
29. They provide a means of keeping______of the thousands of journal papers that are published monthly or quarterly.
A. track B. contact C. relation D. steps
30. You can use the Course Calendar to help______your students of important dates in the course，such as test dates.
A. warn B. remind C. convince D. deprive
31. Among picture books for 4―8-year-olds，several outstanding works appeared that combined original stories with______illustrations.
A. imaginable B. imaginative C. imaging D. imageless
32. A survey of more than 1000 philosophers，teachers and students by the authoritative Philosophers’ Magazine placed Charles Darwin’s The Origin of______as the third most important work.
A. Sperms B. Species C. Spectrums D. Specimens
33. As skies fill with millions of migrating birds，European scientists say the seasonal miracle appears to depend on a seeming______：The fatter the bird，the more efficiently it flies.
A. interruption B. description C. qualification D. contradiction
34. The party leader justified his subsequent reelection______that he had brought political stability and economic development to his country.
A. in the way B. by no means C. on the grounds D. to the extent
35. A leading British scholar has proposed translating Shakespeare into contemporary English ______ young audiences who are confused by jokes which are 400 years out of date.
A. in memory of B. at the cost of
C. on behalf of D. for the benefit of
16-20 B B D A B
21-25 D D A C C
26-30 A C A A B
31-35 B B D C D